Stacker plans to double newsroom in the next six months
Today, we’re thrilled to share plans to add more than 20 full-time positions to our newsroom by September of this year. These hires represent an increased investment in elevating and expanding our journalism to support our mission of empowering the world’s publishers
It’s been an exciting year as we’ve grown our newsroom to 20+ writers, editors, and data reporters while increasing the overall team to over 40 people. Along the way, we’ve introduced new ways of telling data-rich stories and supporting our 1,000+ local news partners while expanding how we operate:
- Building new distribution partnerships ranging from national networks like Advance, McClatchy, and Nexstar to smaller independent sites like the Auburn Examiner, New York Amsterdam News, and more.
- Launching Stacker Local to expand our reporting to all 50 states and 384 metros, spanning topics like immigration, racial inequities, travel, and sports (and all built on our proprietary story tech stack)
- Introducing new storytelling resources such as data releases and data viz to inspire new stories, while expanding our newswire coverage to high-impact topics like rural hospital access, inclusion, extreme weather, and pollution
- Building a sustainable, diversified business model that has grown 300% year-over-year—all while bootstrapped and profitable (read more about it on PressGazette and Digiday)
As we look to expand our coverage, we’re looking for journalists who can bring subject matter expertise across beats including business, housing, health care, sports, science, and entertainment—along with specialists who can tackle investigative projects, data visualizations, and computer-assisted reporting.
What makes Stacker an exciting place to work
Stacker offers journalists a unique vantage point for impacting the local news space, with our newsroom acting as a partner to local news organizations around the country to support their coverage and help inform their communities.
Journalists are able to step in and shape our content strategy from Day 1, exploring underreported topics while conceptualizing and executing on meaningful projects. We pursue stories with lasting impact—aiming to complement the coverage of local news organizations with data-driven analysis, historical perspectives, and explainers that support breaking news topics. Our tech-forward team pairs proven newsroom tactics with innovative strategies for creating and distributing stories, constantly seeking out new tools and systems that can support our journalism.
An investment in learning and development is a central part of Stacker’s newsroom. Weekly 1-1s, an education stipend, skills training, and industry speakers are all geared toward honing journalism skills and fostering leadership and collaboration across the team.
We are a remote company that values getting together, planning semi-annual summits for the newsroom and entire company to collaborate and build lasting relationships across teams. We understand that our staff have lives outside of their day jobs—we support parents, caregivers, and others with commitments by offering a remote environment with flexible work schedules.
Stacker is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive newsroom that reflects the communities we serve. We encourage women, people of color, veterans, people with disabilities and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including employee equity program, 100% health and dental coverage, 3 months paid parental leave, weekly lunch stipends, 401k matching, and more.
Open roles across the newsroom include:
- Staff Writers (all levels)
- Copy Editors (all levels)
- Senior Editors (5+ years of editing experience)
- Data Reporters (1-5 years of reporting experience)
- Senior Data Reporters (5+ years of reporting experience)
- Data Editors (5+ years of reporting and editing experience)
- Content Strategists (3+ years of experience)
Beyond the newsroom, we’re adding 10+ roles on the business side, across our sales, account management, product, ops, and people teams.
For a full list of roles, check out our job board. Hope to work together soon!